School Nurse

Thornton Creek School Nurse


If you think your student has been exposed to, or has any one symptom of, COVID-19 please keep your student home and email Nurse Twinkle and the office

A copy of your negative COVID-19 test result will be required before your student returns to school. Nurse Twinkle will work with families and the district to determine when it is safe for your student to return to school.


Breakfast and lunch

All students need the option of a healthy breakfast and lunch to fuel their brains and be successful at school. If you believe your student is eligible for free or reduced-price lunch, please visit our district website and complete the required form. If your child has allergies or otherwise needs a special diet you may call Culinary Services at 206-252-0675 and/or submit this diet prescription form.


Vaccinations are important for keeping all our students safe and healthy. Moreover, they are required for continued attendance at school. If you are unsure about your student’s immunization status, you can check the Washington Immunization Information Service and/or view a schedule of required vaccines. Seattle Public Schools is offering COVID 19 vaccination clinics this fall at various locations across the District.

Vision and hearing screenings

Vision and hearing screenings are typically done in the fall. If your child does not pass their hearing or vision screening at school, the nurse will send a letter home, stating the need for further evaluation by their primary care provider.

Incoming kindergarten and 1st graders

The first time in a school setting can be extremely fun for a child! Many children do not take the time to use the restroom for fear that they may “miss out” on something fun and exciting. Just in case that happens, please provide and extra set of clothes to keep in your child’s locker or cubby in case of an accident.

When to keep your child at home

Please keep your child at home for…

  • Fever – Temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or greater. Students need to stay home for 24 hours after their temperature has returned to normal without the help of fever-reducing medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
  • Diarrhea – Two or more loose or watery stools in a 24-hour period, especially if the student feels ill. Students should stay home for 24 hours after the last watery stool.
  • Vomiting – Two or more times during the last 24-hours, especially if the student feels ill. Students should stay home for 24 hours after the last time they vomited.
  • Rash – Rashes of unknown origin or those known to be contagious (impetigo, ringworm, or scabies). Students may return to school as soon as treatment has begun.
  • Eye problems – Eyes that are draining mucus or pus or are painful, not due to injury or allergy.
  • Live lice – Students may return to school once treatment has begun.
  • Persistent coughing or bad cold – Students need to be able to cover their cough to be at school. If a cough or cold persists for more than 2 weeks, the student may need to be seen by a health care provider.
  • Diagnosed strep throat or bacterial conjunctivitis (pink eye) – Good handwashing is key to prevention. Do not exclude students unless recommended by a health care provider.
  • Other indicators of illness – Students who are unusually tired, pale, have no appetite, are hard to wake, or are confused should stay home or see their health care provider.

If you’re unsure about whether your student should miss school due to their health condition, please consult the school nurse.

When your student is absent from school, please report the reason for the absence to the office staff.

Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

Washington state law requires that school staff and parents plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

Health Issues

Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or email.

Medication at School

If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a medication form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by parent. Authorization for Medications Taken at School (multiple languages)

School health rooms do not keep medications on hand for general use. Medications must be supplied to the school by the parents/guardians for their student’s individual needs. All medications must be brought to school in their original container/box with prescription label attached (if it’s a prescription medication) in order to be administered.

Medical Treatments at School

If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the health care provider complete the treatment form. Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School

School-Based Health Centers (SBHC)

Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

Please have parent/guardian and/or student (if accessing services that do not need parent consent) call the clinic to schedule an appointment before student goes to the clinic.

Please schedule an appointment in advance especially if student does not attend the school of the school based health center. The SBHC may not have the capacity (panel may be full) or due to other limitations may not be able to serve students who are not from the school.

Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed and this program is also supported by the Seattle Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Plan.

Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services.

When to Keep Your Student Home

COVID-19 When to Keep your SPS Student Home – COVID-like symptoms take priority over symptoms from “Is My Child Too Sick to Go to School?” guidelines

Additional Resources