Skip To ContentSkip To Content
    
    Thornton Creek Site Council Monthly Meeting January 15, 2019
    Minutes recorded by Cathy Reidy Liermann
    
    Attendees:
    Sarah Tien; Lori Miller; Melissa Sire; LaChrista Borgers; Stacey Seifert; Leslie Kot; Lisa Berman; Beck Weinhold; Paige Reischl; Julie Shin; Jenny Pinto; Chelsea Lin; Moriah Love; Jessica Wasse; Amelia McGee; Melissa Alexander; Chris Ledford; Cathy Reidy Liermann; Elizabeth Corman; Kaori Tanaka; Kim Sciarrone; Jon Gasbar; Chris Cordell; Satcha Graham; Mark Cooper; Jacob Kosman; Anna Marshall; Anna Farr; Jen Chan; Anne Arnett; K.C. Potter de Haan; Jac de Haan; Liz McCormack; Darren Downs; Melissa Walsh; Kerri McKeighan; Alissa West; Lisa Calvert; Ginny Allemann; Tori Quiles; Joy White
    
    * 6:38pm Call to Order
    Chair Tanaka recognizes first-time participants
    
    * Icebreaker: 
    Chair Tanaka explains why index cards were handed out – we’re to draw quick portraits of ourselves with name, nickname and 1 fun fact about yourself and then we’ll pass around
    
    * Approval of December minutes – no corrections, so minutes are approved as distributed
    
    * Reports of Officers
    
    * Principal Gasbar’s Report
          * says Happy New Year 
          * Professional learning has included gender diversity, Special Education (SPED) session on differentiation
          * On Jan 23rd will be Race and Equity team learning on Black Lives Matter and MLK
          * Community engagement – Jan 28th and Feb 6th are scheduled for forming working group on long-term equity work
          * Reteaching expectations at school after break – “Stand Up to Bullying” is this week
          * 4th graders advocating for cleaner cafeteria
          * School Tours coming up
          * How to promote volunteerism – Principal recited quote from MLK
       
    * Chair Tanaka’s Report
          * Current secretary has resigned; need new one
          * Call for volunteers for reviewing mid-year funding requests
          * Decatur has invited TC families to attend “Angst” film, which is screening right now (laughter)
          * Communications – temporary agreement between Site Council and PTA in which both groups will alert other before communicating anything that affects each other. Waiting on PTA to solidify their mission, goals, etc. Chair requests feedback/input on moving forward in this uncharted territory.
          * Audit – Chair reiterates that audit happened, where to find report on website, and asks that folks read it and help address issues
          * Request made on how motions can be presented to group; Chair reviews current protocol; requests that everyone get a chance to speak once before folks speak a second time
       
    * Treasurer Fonken’s Report
          * Final Walkathon numbers exceeded goal due to corporate matching at ~$31K
          * Bazaar numbers net ~$2200
          * Annual Appeal dollars already coming in from monthly donors subscribed last year
          * Teacher funds of ~9K will go to Responsive Classroom training for first timers and rest to be decided how to distribute among teachers
          * $3K safety can be reallocated
       
    * Teachers’ Report (given by Joy White, PreSchool Teacher)
          * Mac Barnett visited 4th and 5th grade in library
          * Anti-bullying assembly with Taproot Theater was today
          * MLK Day assembly is in works
          * Archery season has started
          * Staff say thank you for the holiday gifts
    
    * Chalk Talk – Encouraging Volunteerism
          * Jon Gasbar reviews previous discussions on how to promote volunteerism without requiring it
          * Wants to brainstorm ways to boost volunteerism, ways to message it – explains exercise with posters and small-group work to brainstorm
          * (Everyone goes around and writes ideas on posters for 10 minutes)
          * Jon Gasbar will work with volunteer committee to compile and disseminate results
    
    * Reports of Committees
    * Communications Committee Chair Potter de Haan
          * Chair Potter de Haan has found thorntoncreek.org domain owner and site has been transferred to admin@thorntoncreek.org
          * Distributes newsletter submission guidelines/timelines on ½ page hand-out
          * Parent asks about Special Edition newsletter protocols 
          * Update on G-Suite – have 14 active email accounts and 14 Google groups
          * Web Team had meeting with Assistant Principal Chris and Principal Jon about district norms for updating website
             * Assistant Principal Chris will now review all updates so a pair of admin eyes is always on it
    
    * Hospitality Committee Co-Chair Lin
          * School tours coming up, teachers advised of disruptions
          * Request that a Site Council officer speak at intro
          * Requests feedback on how to communicate changes (eg, volunteer “requirements”, fundraising)
          * Jenny Pinto is gathering volunteers to provide snacks for teacher meetings
       
    * Volunteer Committee Co-Chair Kot
          * Co-chairs Kot and Seifert have really been trying to communicate needs and fill roles
             * Thanks to Mark Cooper for taking on Talent Show
                * Lisa Calvert mentions that this year parents need to sign-up their 5th graders for MC and backstage roles representing a change from previous years
          * Co-chairs embarking on journey to figure out about how many hours volunteers really do spend overall, specific jobs, etc. So please respond to Room Parent requests for this info.
          * Co-chairs thinking of writing a survey about how Sign-Up Genius has been working, and also questions about what works for them with volunteering, what doesn’t work, etc.
       
    * Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity Committee Chair Hyland
          * MLK Day March poster/cape making session here at TC this Friday Jan 18th  2:30-3:30pm
          * TC families will meet and march together – details have been sent out
          * Upcoming gender diversity talk next Wednesday – likely similar to Lisa Love’s recent talk to teachers – flyer linked in Newsletter
       
    * Special Education (SPED) Committee Co-Chair Shin
          * Last week’s meeting highlighted that there have been upsetting incidents at K-1 recesses; co-chairs spoke with Principal Gasbar and now K-1 parents are organizing a report of incidents so that admin can track them and so that they can all brainstorm how to address these issues
          * Jeremy Cooper (SPED teacher) delivered gifts to some of his students that weren’t going to receive holiday gifts otherwise, and SPED committee wants to contribute in future years
          * There is money in Parent Group budget for paid playground supervision; question raised whether it’s too late to hire someone for remainder of this year
       
    * Parent Education Committee Chair Dearborn-Graham
          * Recent discussions on childcare needs and expectations of childcare providers
          * Sharing parent ed event invitation with Decatur
       
    * Facilities Committee Co-Chair McGee
          * Two-pronged approach – 
             * parent education component
             * “knot-it or note-it” campaign
             * Perhaps teachers help with laundry basket per class on playground for kids to deposit layers as they shed them
             * Motion to provide all classrooms with laundry baskets for recess clothing
                * Parent comment about “lice bins”
             * Teacher McKeighan does not support laundry basket idea for recess b/c of lice
             * parent suggests parent volunteers from each class to write names with sharpie in each coat
             * parent suggests label-making party
             * parent suggests each class have a kid assigned to check lost-and-found 
             * parent suggests coat rack goes out at recess with empty hangers for kids to hang-up coats during recess
             * parent suggests Scarecrows at each door with sign asking “Do you have your coat on?”
             * Office staff suggests just “knot it” and no “note it”
             * Teacher McKeighan suggests using “Stop, Notice and Help” mantra from last year in lieu of inventing new slogan
             * Teachers highlight that ultimately it’s a parent/family culture issue with little room for school influence
             * Motion did not pass
       
    * ByLaws Working Group – Chair Ledford
          * Last meeting focused more on audit report, but overlaps bylaws revisions quite a bit so it was actually helpful
          * Some issues with addressing some audit points, but good progress
          * Tension between specificity and wiggle room for change with changing times when drafting new bylaws
       
    * Talent Show Chair Cooper
          * Acknowledges Volunteer Committee and Communications Chair for helping
          * Wants to create roadmap for future years
          * Historically wasn’t budgeted but requests that Site Council act as comptroller for door-donations to eventually reimburse for costs incurred
             * Treasurer says there’s currently $300 in budget
          * Office staff compliments flyers
    
    * Hiring Committee Chair Marshall
          * Reviews protocols for getting trained to be on hiring committees; there’s one later this week
       
    * District Relations Chair Gould (stand-in Reidy Liermann)
          * “Several works in progress”
    
    * Scrip Chair Carey (stand-in Potter de Haan)
          * PCC has raised just over $2200 so far
          * $3500 total to date
    
    * Grants Committee Co-Chair Anne Arnett
          * Line items in SC budget that are almost spent may be covered by grants, so please reach out for help in writing these grants
    
    * Annual Appeal Chair Armato (stand-in Robin Belz)
          * Starts next week, still a lot to be done
          * Really need to find a way to do this and be successful and can’t have any staff involved in any way
          * Needs volunteers
          * Parent asks about incentives – parking spot and Chavez cabin will be offered again
    
    * New Business
       * Chair Tanaka wasn’t able to get cash for babysitter prior to meeting – parent fronted $
    * Next meeting announced - February 12, 2019
    * Close of meeting 8:25pm