Welcome to the Site Council
Participating in Site Council, the governing body of our school, is a terrific way to get involved, meet great people, and make a difference in our school community.
Officers serve for a term of one year beginning in June.
If you are interested in holding an office, please contact the Site Council chair or firstname.lastname@example.org June 1.
Everybody is encouraged to participate!
Site Council was created to protect the integrity of Thornton Creek’s program philosophy and goals, by setting policy and establishing standards, guidelines, and procedures.
It is also an advisory group to the 501(c)3 organization named Thornton Creek Parent Group.
Site Council’s goals include
- Fostering communication and cooperation between the administration, teachers, staff, and parents on matters of common interest;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with other community groups and the Seattle Public Schools (the school district); and
- Providing public meetings and forums to gather community input, explain policy, and educate and involve community members.
For more information, please see the following documents, which are in the process of being updated:
OfficersChair:* The chair provides agenda and presides over all meetings of the Parent Group and Site Council, calls special meetings, and appoints special committees as needed; performs all acts and duties usually performed by a presiding officer.
Vice Chair:* The vice chair supports the chair position, and in the absence or disability of the chair, performs the duties of the chair.
Treasurer: * The treasurer is responsible for budget, keeping and disbursing of all monies of the Parent Group, and managing a committee to ensure accurate books of accounts of all transactions of the parent group.
Secretary: The secretary takes meeting minutes and sends meeting minutes to the chair for distribution to the community.
As the chair of a committee, you are the critical link between thework done on your committee and the rest of Site Council and thecommunity. Chairs guide and work collaboratively with their committeemembers to determine and follow appropriate next steps.
- Maintains the Thornton Creek Parent Group website.
- Produces the Thornton Creek, Site Council newsletter.
- Supports Expeditionary Learning, Responsive Classroom, and all alternative curricula used in our unique program through educating the parent community and supporting the strength of these programs.
- Compiles and produces the yearly expedition newsletter.
District Relations Committee*
- Monitors proposals that are under consideration by the school board and school district.
- Fosters and maintains relationships with other schools and educational groups.
- Represents the views and concerns of the Site Council to the larger Seattle Public School community.
- Coordinates before- and after-school activities with parent volunteers and vendors.
- Compiles and distributes registration information at the start of each session.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI) Committee**
- Plans and implements school-wide diversity events for students, families, and staff.
- Supports and encourages discussions about diversity at Thornton Creek to facilitate understanding and celebration of differences.
- Learn more about EDI.
- Proposes and implements improvements to and maintenance of facilities, including landscaping, water quality, and earthquake preparedness.
- Plans and coordinates events to raise funds for Thornton Creek Parent Group
Grant Writing Committee
- Identifies and seeks funding from a variety of sources to support specific programs at Thornton Creek.
- Organizes the welcoming events for new families.
- Plans a variety of appreciation events for teachers and staff.
- Coordinates school tours.
Parent Education Committee
- Organizes parent education events around parent concerns and other relevant issues.
- Organizes and supports parent education brought to the community by other committees.
Recruitment and Hiring Committee
- Promotes and facilitates parent participation in hiring Thornton creek teachers, staff, and administration.
- Organizes Health and Medical Safety Committee.
- Organizes all disaster preparedness, including earthquake supplies.
- Addresses safety concerns (recess, pick-up/drop off)
Special Education Committee
- Supports community building among and advocacy on behalf of families of students with special needs.
- Promotes inclusion of students with special needs in all school activities.
- Plans and coordinates parent education events relating to special education.
- Recruits and coordinates volunteers for TCPG and SC events.
- Oversees room parent volunteers and their communications.
- Supports volunteer engagement.
* Indicates a voting position.
Site Council Contacts 2020-21Please send edits to email@example.com
opens an email client application
opens an email client application
Jacob Clark Blickenstaff
Chelsea Lin, Jenny Pinto
opens an email client application firstname.lastname@example.org
– Beth Anderson
– Molly Shumway
– Elizabeth Fletcher
– Emily Mitchell
– Karen Wirkala
Equity, diversity, & inclusivity (EDI)
Jana Dilley, Zoe Kappelman
Recruitment and hiring
Erica Seddig Carter
Special education Co-chairs
Julie Shin opens an email client application, Beck Weinhold