Participating in Site Council, the governing body of our school, is a terrific way to get involved in your child’s school, meet great people, and make a difference in our school community.
2nd Tuesday of each month
7:00 to 9:00 pm
Please check calendar to confirm!
Site Council meetings are open meetings. Childcare can be provided if arrangements are made at least one day before the Site Council meeting. To make arrangements, contact the Site Council Chair.
The Site Council is the administrative body representing the 501(c)3 organization named Thornton Creek Parent Group.
Site Council committees and their functions are described below. Committees with voting rights are noted with an asterisk.
- Plans and holds the annual school auction.
- Maintains the Thornton Creek website.
- Produces the Thornton Creek newsletter, directory, and handbook.
- Organizes parent education events about expeditionary learning and other curricula used in our unique program.
- Compiles and produces the yearly expedition newsletter.
District Relations Committee*
- Monitors proposals that are under consideration by the Zone and School District.
- Fosters and maintains relationships with other schools and educational groups.
- Represents the views and concerns of the Site Council to the larger Seattle Public School community.
- Plans and implements school-wide diversity events for students, families, and staff.
- Supports and encourages discussions about diversity at Thornton Creek to facilitate understanding and celebration of differences.
- Coordinates before- and after-school activities with parent volunteers and vendors.
- Compiles and distributes registration information at the start of each session.
- Proposes and implements improvements to and maintenance of facilities, including landscaping, water quality, and earthquake preparedness.
- Plans and coordinates events to raise funds to support Site Council programs.
Grant Writing Committee
- Identifies and seeks funding from a variety of sources to support specific programs at Thornton Creek.
- Organizes the welcoming events for new families.
- Plans a variety of appreciation events for teachers and staff.
Recruitment and Hiring Committee
- Plans and coordinates recruitment of staff members for Thornton Creek.
- Organizes Health and Medical Safety Committee.
- Organizes all disaster preparedness, including earthquake supplies.
Past meeting minutes - 2016-17 school year (PDFs)
Past meeting minutes - Past years
No December meeting